October 20, 2008

A good week

Well hello again! I must say I'm feeling far far beter today than I did last Monday. Ugh, last Monday I felt awful, and was mad at the world and nearly everyone in it. I'm a little better now :)

Let's see, this week was surprisingly quite pleasant. I was kept very busy, and managed to enjoy myself a bit. I think I was able to kep my head above water and just tread water this week, when the week before (and the week before that) I felt a bit like I was strugling to just breathe. We'll see what this week has in store for me, and also how I feel next Monday, but for now I'm doing very well.

Monday and Thursday evening I had basketball practice, as what I guess is now my "usual" It's pretty hard, and even though the team I practice with isn't super tough or anything they can all definitely play the game. I even sweat a bit which is really good! I miss running SO BAD!!! Running is addicting I've figured that out. That whole "runner's high" really exists. I was looking back through a journal I kind of kept this past summer and discovered my summer consisted basically of this - running, working, pottery, Montreat, hiking, and hanging out with my family friends. Mostly running, working, and pottery however. It was the quintessential summer, it couldn't have been much better, and I really really loved it. Oh and health food was also very much a part of my summer :)

I also had Italian lessons three days this past week, and will have them three days this week. My class with Rotary is really really awesome. My teacher is very nice and loves helping exchange students (both her kids have been somewhere with Rotary on an exchange). She's a bit hard ut I really like that because she knows what's best for us and knows the best way to help us learn Italian. I had lessons with Rotary last Tuesday and Thursday, and this week Monday and Friday. Haha they keep changing. Then every Wednesday is Italian with the school, where maybe two people speak English. The teacher is really sweet though and last week I was so proud of myself because I wrote a little "introduction" mostly by myself! I was so proud of it, and it was ong too like a whole paragraph. I was going to write in on here but I left my notebook where it's writen in the classroom. Next time. Also in school if I'm not in German, Economy or English I study Italian verbs until I get so sick of them I turn and try to listen to the teacher for a bit. I know, it's bad, but listening to someone speak Italian for an hour straight is really hard! It wears me out.

Last Tuesday I hung out with my Australian friend Kailee. We hung out in the Center of Milan for a bit beofre Italian lessons. We went shopping, and I bought a long sleeved shirt and really cute sweater :) I still need boots though. So far I'm handeling the cold alright, the weather is a bit bi-polar here however and can't make up it's mind whether it wants to be cold, cloudy, sunny, windy, or warm. I think keeping warm plays a huge part in how well I cope with being here, if I'm really cold then the whole world just looks bleak and miserable to me.

I've hung out with some Italian kids quite a bit this past week too! Last Saturday evening (like, a week ago) there was a little neighborhood festival in Poasco that I went to and had a great time hanging out with the kids outside (the little gang, Robie, Degli, Stephano, Fra, Dario, Gigi, and a few others) at night while one of the guys played guitar and everyone sang Italian songs. Haha it was great. Everyone in "the gang" I like a lot and the boys are hillarious. One boy Dario is always congradulating me on my Italian and says "We must work now on your accent, we must make it perfect" Another girl just sas "Che carrina!" which means "How cute!" or "How nice" when I try to speak Italian (by the way if I'm repeating anything from my last post please forgive me it's been a week since I wrote it and to be entirely honest I have a hard time remembering what exactly I did the week before much less what I wrote). I also went twice to this really sweet girl's house (Degli) to to a little trade thing where she helped me with my Italian homework and I helped her with English homework. It worked out really well for both of us, and Italian is definitely coming along for me. Poco a poco, little by little. I also went to a girls 18th birthday party dinner this past Saturday night! This Saturday night as in, two nights ago. It was just dinner with a few ofher friends at her house (in Poasco, about two mintues down the street from where I live) that she and her mom had cooked and then an AMAZING fruit topped cake afterwards. After dinner and presents some more friends came over and we all drove into downtown! I had to go home early though (like a 12, which is really early for them they stay out until 3 or 4, but seeing as it's still only my first month or so here and I don't know anyone really well I think it's best to not stay out until the wee hours of the night of early morning, plus I just really like my sleep). Then last night the same group of people (two girls, Claudia and Chiara, and four boys, whose names I can't remember haha) invited me out to dinner with them in San Guiliano, which is a lot like San Donato, a smaller city type community right outside the city. I had a great time and enjoyed myself quite a lot. This group is different from "the gang" and in this group the two girls speak English alright and the others don't really speak it at all. It's fun that way though because even though it's harder to have a conversation, you have to be creative and it can be really fun. I think next time we're going to go bowling or ice skating!!!

I think I've also found a church! The name is International Church of Milan, or ICM I think, and I talked to the pastor yesterday on the phone and he said he could probably find a family who could give me a ride there and back. So far it seems like it could be really neat and I'm just SO excited to have found it!!! I'm going this Sunday if everything works out, which I'm hoping and praying it will. To go to church here would be AMAZING!

I've also been having a great time with the Rotary kids, we're all planning a THANKSGIVING dinner party together! I think we have a house to hold it at and now we just have to assign dishes to everyone (it's going to be like a pot luck). Actually, we need recipies, so if ANY of you have a really good one for anything could you email it to me?? Halcyon.italy@gmail.com, that would be so awesome!

Alrighty well the bell just rang so I must leave, please forgive the spelling errors, if I had more time I would go back and correct them.

I love you all so much and miss you all very very very much!!!

Write to me if you want to, I'd love it! Write or email, my address is

Sergio Mugnos
Halcyon Garrett
Via Schuster 4
20097 San Donato Milanese
MI Italy

Ciao for now!!! Until next time!!

ALL MY LOVE!!! From Italy to you :)

Bacio!

Halcyon

No comments: